Media and Entertainment Litigation
We have substantial expertise litigating media and entertainment disputes, including libel, artist-manager relations, and royalty matters. We have successfully represented leading record companies, music publishers, television and cable networks, cable and telecommunications companies, trade organizations, and prominent artists and writers. Given our in-depth knowledge of our clients’ industries, we are often called upon to handle commercial disputes unique to our clients’ businesses. We also regularly provide advice to our clients on a wide range of operational, clearance, legislative, and emerging business issues.
Our matters and victories include:
- Obtained summary judgment and consent judgment prohibiting game developer from promoting and distributing unauthorized mobile game of Sabacc, an element of the Star Wars franchise.
- Represent one of the largest independent record labels in the United States in commercial litigation regarding the right to share in royalty earnings related to the recording artist Drake.
- Won summary judgment for major record company dismissing breach of contract claim raising question of first impression regarding the statute of frauds. Obtained sanctions against plaintiff and his counsel for discovery abuses.
- Obtained dismissal of claim of slander per se asserted against entertainment company and its executive on ground that alleged statement (that plaintiff was trying to blackmail executive) was substantially true.
- Secured rarely-granted dismissal with prejudice of copyright claim regarding recording on triple platinum selling record album, based on litigation abuses of plaintiff and plaintiff’s counsel.