The firm’s lawyers have extensive experience litigating intellectual property matters, including copyright, trademark, unfair competition, trade secret, and rights of publicity and privacy. We have substantial expertise litigating media and entertainment disputes, including libel, artist-manager relations, and royalty matters. We have successfully represented leading record companies, music publishers, television and cable networks, cable and telecommunications companies, consumer products companies, trade organizations, and prominent artists and writers. Given our in-depth knowledge of our clients’ industries, we are often called upon to handle commercial disputes unique to our clients’ businesses. We also regularly provide advice to our clients on a wide range of operational, clearance, legislative, and emerging business issues.
Our victories include:
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of individual claims in putative class action challenging royalty payment practices of a major record company, along with court ruling barring plaintiff’s counsel from taking discovery to find a new class representative, leading to dismissal without prejudice of class claims.
- Secured dismissal with prejudice in case of first impression regarding the transfer of ownership and work-for-hire provisions of the U.S. Copyright Act in a ruling that a videotaped recording cannot satisfy the Act’s signed writing requirements.
- Represented foreign publishing societies and publishers in successfully objecting to proposed settlement in the well-known Google Books class action. The court specifically cited Shapiro Arato’s objections in its ruling rejecting the proposed settlement.
- Obtained dismissal of claim of slander per se asserted against entertainment company and its executive on ground that alleged statement (that plaintiff was trying to blackmail executive) was substantially true.
- Secured rarely-granted dismissal with prejudice of copyright claim regarding recording on triple platinum selling record album, based on litigation abuses of plaintiff and plaintiff’s counsel.